Friday, March 16, 2012

March is marching by!






Its been awhile since I've had a moment to sit down and write. The weather has improved, its been a quick jump to spring in WNY. We really never had snow and now its March and my Daffodils are blooming.
We have had a fantastic month so far. Last week our sitter called early in the am and said her daughter who is school aged had the stomach flu and she couldn't watch the kids. So at the last minute I called in sick and took the kids to Rochester to the Strong Memorial of Play Museum. It is fantastic and the kids had a blast. The hour and twenty minute ride was so worth it. The kids were able to work in a kid sized Wegmans (Wegmans is based in Rochester, NY), play in the Bernstein bears village, drive an airplane, Visit Sesame street, be on TV with Elmo, and visit a butterfly garden. We played, ate pizza hut for lunch, played some more and made the drive home with both of them napping. We even stopped at Target for a new toy to celebrate our play day! We spent the babysitters pay on our day of fun. Thursday our sitter called again and I was able to have my mom watch for the afternoon. When I told Ev he said can we go back to Wegmans and play! I told him its an hour and a half to get there and he said that's okay we'll just stay for 5 minutes. If we purchase a membership to Explore and More, the Fisher Price museum we can go back to Strong for free next time. I think it'll be worth it.

We have one week of ice skating left and I don't think I have to worry about becoming a hockey Mom yet, a sigh of relief for now. Evan wants to take swimming and tennis lessons this summer and I think I'll have Sara do a gymnastics class. We finally made a decision and are sending Evan to our Church for preK. Our district cut 7 teachers in the high school this month, an entire middle school team, and 10 elementary teachers. The district and the directions it is taking is frightening. Luckily our department has a strong Finance Academy presence in the community and lot of community support and involvement. The other members of my department are very hard workers and very good marketers.


Easter break is 3 weeks away and we are driving to Charleston, SC. Evan will be fine but I'm sure Sara will be telling us fine. They are both excited to see Grandma and hit the beach. We bought groupons for Carriage rides, and a harbour tour, and hopefully will hit the beach in Mt. Pleasant. Evan is hoping we can stop at the Lego store in Charlotte. I'd love to do this but we'll be driving on Good Friday and I'm worried about traffic in Charlotte.
Speaking of Lego's he has come so far since the love affair with them began at Christmas time. He can put a 100+ piece together on his own. The downside is they are very expensive. I've been leaving them in my cart on Amazon and picking them up when the price drops. Before Christmas I picked up one for 19.99 and I see it in the stores for $75. Sara is completing 24 piece puzzles and dressing up each day

This weekend is the consignment sale at the fairgrounds. It is my 3rd year participating and hopefully the most profitable. I tagged my allotted 200 items and dropped them off on Tuesday. As of tonight I sold 119 items and all but 2 of the larger items. The sale ends on Sunday and I have to pick up any left over items and they will mail me a check for 55% of the total sold in two weeks. I could have increased it to 70% if I had volunteered 4 hours, but finding those 4 hours was impossible. I tagged almost $1,200 worth of items. I love this sale, its a lot of work organizing, pricing (they have an inventory system that prints tags, hanging all the clothes up, packaging the toys, but so worth it not to have a garage sale. This must be such a money maker for the 2 organizers.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun day you guys had!!! I hope you have an awesome trip to SC. I didn't know a 4 year old could take tennis lessons. Hmm well I doubt I'll do that with Nadia quite yet. I bet you feel a sense of relief regarding making the decision for Evan's schooling near year. I hope he has a great year of PreK! Your kids are amazing with puzzles. Ian is not ANYWHERE near being able to do a 24 piece jigsaw puzzle. He hasn't even mastered the peg puzzles yet! He's just not into puzzles thus far except for destroying Nadia's 100 piece puzzles.

    ReplyDelete