Monday, February 5, 2018

The first visit

Today was our first visit to the newly opened Children's Hospital.  I was not impressed.  Yesterday we were at our Peds again.  Sara was on day 6 of a fever and her tonsils are super swollen, red and have white spots again.  The Peds tested her for strep again.  This time I had a fantastic Dr. and she listened to all of the symptoms without discounting anything.  She suggested we see an ENT.  She promised to try and get us in Monday.  Around 8pm our home phone rang and it was her checking on Sara.  She called again this AM at 8.  Unfortunately they called 6 ENT's and could not get me in.  So we headed to the ER at children's.  The plan was to see an ENT there.

Well the plan didn't work out.  We arrived at 10am and didn't leave until 3:45.  It was run so poorly and of course I had a resident that barely listened.  Once she heard Mono she ignored everything else.  First they did a flu swab and when that was negative they did a urine analysis.  After that was negative they did a strep test.  These were not all done at the same time.  So they would do a test, we would wait for the results and then they would do the next.  It was so inefficient!  Finally I expressed my disgust at 1:45 and said I had expected bloodwork and to see and ENT.  She then returned and ordered blood and an x-ray.  The x-ray tech asked me what they were looking for!!

After all that time I asked for some ice water at 2pm.. never received it.  It was horrid we spent the entire day there and didn't find out anything new.  I can't wait for my Pediatrician to call.  I would have been better off waiting for the next ENT appointment.  We left with a hungry, tired child.  The only good part of the day was that her fever stayed below 99.2.  Of course Murphys Law we go for a fever and it disappears.  

At this point the plan is to keep her out of school for tomorrow and then reevaluate.

No comments:

Post a Comment