Monday, March 31, 2014

Reading...

      We finally found a love of reading in our house.  It was a matter of finding the right subject to get Evan off and running.  Around Christmas time he was reading level 1 books and hadn't found books that really interested him.  Evan is my picky kid, he only likes certain toys, movies, foods.  Once Evan finds what he likes he is happy.  So I bought a few Lego level 1 books and some superhero, Biscuit, and Little Critters books.  He loved the Lego books and was devouring them.  Unfortunately the library doesn't carry any.  So after a weekly investment in Lego books (thank goodness for Amazon prime) he told me he needs something more challenging.  So a stack of Level 2 books arrived and he does them 90% on his own.  When we are reading about superheroes there are some difficult vocabulary words.  He can be lazy about sounding out words. But once I tell him the word he doesn't forget it. 
    I look forward to having Sara read because she is never as picky as him.  She will most likely be so proud to read that she will read the hundreds of other books in our house. 
    Sara returned to the Dr's. on Saturday with her second bout of Strep this month.  She also was diagnosed with it on 3/17.  Now we have Augementin which is disgusting.  I have been measuring it out and then adding snow cone syrup to it to disguise the flavor.  She gets a few M&M's before her dose and a few after.  The taste of it is horrid.  I contemplated teaching her to take pills but my Mom who is a pharmacist said it comes in a huge tablet.  We have 7 more days of it and hopefully no more strep throat.  My Mom said I have never had it, either has Evan.  My mother in law told me everyone in their family had it multiple times.  I hope its not a yearly event for poor Sara.
  Today I did lunch duty at the kids school.  I do it every other Monday during my lunch period.  When I came home today and asked the kids about the day, Sara told me it was  great day.  When I asked why she told me because Mom came to school today!  Friday the kids have Catholic Charities Carnival day.  They have bounce houses, carnival games,  raffle items, and small toys to purchase.  We cleaned some unwanted gifts from our home and donated them.  Since we have had some unexpected sick days I am being cautious about taking any time off.  So far I have had 7.5 days and know I will need some more half days for the kids graduations at the end of the year.  Grandma is going to attend the carnival with the kids on Friday.  I am sad to miss it, it was great fun last year.  I think I will try to pick some pizza up and run over on my lunch Friday.  Many parents stay for the carnival and eat lunch with their children on this day. 
    This past weekend we visited a maple sugar farm.  Saturday night we received a foot of snow, so it wasn't as fun filled as anticipated.  We did purchase some syrup and some cotton candy.  The farm we visited was only a few miles from our house.  In the past we visited a huge operation that had wagon rides and vendors.  Maybe next year if the weather permits. 
    This weekend we have 2 birthday parties on Saturday and I am supposed to go out for dinner with my high school friends.  Since I have had children I am so bad about spending time with my friends.  I have a few that I talk to each week or month and the others I talk to once or twice per year.  It seems each time I make plans someone is sick and I have to cancel. 
    Today was in the 50's and we spent some time outside.  It was so nice to see neighbors and to let Evan and Sara run around.  We really have been stuck inside for months.  It was such a chilly winter they only went out a few times to play. 
    I have been so bad about taking pictures of the kids.  As I was looking at our monthly calendar I realized I barely have any pictures to make next years.  We have some fun events coming up around Easter so I will have to get busy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment