Monday, January 13, 2014

Sara and the scissors

  Well I knew it was coming eventually.  My curious, headstrong little girl has cut some hair.  We had a snow day last Tuesday and Wednesday and as I started to vacuum the family room I saw chunks of hair on the ground.  Hoping it was doll hair I screamed for Sara.  It was  perfect match to her.  She chopped her hair chin length in with a few cuts on each side.   The front of her hair was pulled back in a rubber band and that was our saving grace.  Her hair looks choppy right now but isn't overly noticeable.  So in  a few weeks we will get it cleaned up.  A few months ago she cut her Sophia dolls hair and a Barbie head.  I knew she was very tempted but didn't think she would cut her hair (well I prayed she wouldn't). 
    In a fit of rage she received two spankings and was sent to her room.  Then I proceeded to put some fear into her.  Sara is very vain.  I told her it looked ugly and we were going to have to cut it short, that she would have the shortest hair in her class.  She sobbed she didn't want to be bald.  I told her she was staying in her room until dinner.  Its not often that I am this angry but its not the first time she has been in trouble with scissors.  Evan and I did homework the night before and left them out accidently.  I went to check on her after ten minutes and she was combing her hair to make it grow.  I let her come downstairs but made her sit in a chair for an hour.  This is the longest punishment she has ever had.  She cried don't tell Miss Lauren (her dance teacher).  I told her I am going tell everyone but Miss Lauren how naughty she was.  I asked her why she did it and she told me she doesn't remember.   I pray we have learned our lesson, now all scissors are on the fridge.

    Today the Speech practice that did Sara's evaluation called and told me I am 14th on the waiting list.  We have our private therapist coming to the house.  Depending on how the insurance actually reimburses this I may skip the clinic.  We would drive 30 minutes each way for a 30 minute appointment twice a week.  Currently we have a one hour appointment at our own home once per week.  I don't think the savings will be worth the time spent in the waiting room, city parking, traffic, and dragging two kids out after a full day of school. 


    Sara is obsessed with playing baby.  We play this scenario over and over she calls me on the phone to tell me she is going to have a baby today.  Then she pretends to come over with her new baby so I can fuss over her.  She then calls me Grandma for the next hour.  It is really sweet but I'm not ready to be a Grandma at 40!  Funny when I think many of my friends are or will be before 50!  We have twenty years to go! 


    NYS has made school districts implement a APPR Plan.  Its a crazy evaluation plan.  Each teacher is supposed to have two observations and two unannounced 15 minute evaluation.  We are almost half way through the school year and I haven't had either.  Because I teach computers classes and Accounting using iPads I teach for 15 minutes and then the kids generally work independently with me checking progress, so when this does occur it should be interesting. 

1 comment:

  1. It will be fun to be a Grandma some day, but I'll be waiting 20 years also! Sorry about the haircut. It seems like something most kids do at some point or another. Thus far it hasn't happened in my house but time will tell if we escape that one or not.

    ReplyDelete