Friday, July 13, 2012

Swimming

     The last week of school we had an incident and Evan fell in the neighbors pool.  It was a huge wake up call for all of us.  He has always been very hesitant about the pool and this reinforced it.  He is comfortable if he can touch the bottom but fights us to wear swimmies, life jacket, and puddle jumper.  At our cottage  last week we were able to convince him to swim of the boat although he wouldn't let go of me.  Sara swims independently if she has a life jacket or puddle jumper on.  Yesterday we started private swimming lessons at a neighbors pool.  The kids have a one on one lesson for a half hour for $5.  Evan was the last lesson and he told me I need to come in.  So I fully expected that he would last about a minute.  He lasted the entire half hour.  Our friends had super heroes that were in the pool and as long as Evan could play with them and look for them he was fine.  Marc came home at 2pm, and asked Evan about his lesson he told him it was awesome. 
      We took a ride to our cottage and I rode the tube with the kids.  Evan had a blast and didn't want to get off.  He kept telling Marc faster and we even went in and out of the wake.  Last night in bed I asked him what the best part of his day was and he say his swimming lesson.  What a relief! 
     Sara is completely potty trained she runs to the bathroom herself to go.  She tells me to leave and shut the door if she goes #2, and has woken up dry every morning.  Twice she has woken me up around 6am to tell me Mommy I need to go potty.  Now to conquer the pacifier.  It will not be as easy as potty training. 
     My Dad is heading in for his 4th chemo treatment today.  He has to go not because he needs it but because there is no bed to put him in in the transfer unit.  My Dad has non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and is undergoing a stem cell transplant (with his own cells) and will be in the unit for 2-4 weeks.  They will completely kill his immunization system and extract his cells, grow them, and then return the cells to him.  It has a 50% success rate of curing the cancer at his age.  The unfortunate thing is there is no test at the end to know if it worked.  He will have to continue being monitored to see if the Cancer is gone.  My mom is so stressed and disappointed that this 4th treatment is happening.  My Dad is completely dependant on her and has no idea how much pressure and stress he puts on her.  She told me this week I would much rather be watching the kids everyday than running to Roswell each day.  I have offered to take him but she wants to be in control of the care and some days he is there 4-9 hours.  He has undergone weekly plasma and blood transfusions it is so difficult to see him go through it. 

1 comment:

  1. I'll be praying for your parents. That sounds like a really rough thing to go through. I hope it's a successful treatment. Congrats on Evan's progress with swimming! Ian has made a lot of progress this summer with his swimming.

    ReplyDelete